Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management The Pros and Cons of using the "Admin" username on your forum

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.

Mike30

Renowned member
Bronze Member
Credits
I have a little dilema and would like to read your opinion.
Are there any pros and cons of using the "Admin" username vs another username on your forum?

I would see having the "admin" name as a backup login in case your site gets compromised but that was during the old days. you could have it set as a normal member but have the secondary group as the admin. Most forum software has the creating admin set as the root admin, so no one can demote you and take over your site. But I put in a second layer of security and I have the "Owner" group for myself. As for today's forums, I really don't see the need to have the admin name unless like Al said you want to distance yourself away from your member base. But as a community admin, I figure you want to get to know your members.

I would see having the "admin" name as a backup login in case your site gets compromised but that was during the old days. you could have it set as a normal member but have the secondary group as the admin.
MyBB you can just edit the configuration file and add a user id to super admin line. No need for secondary group. At least you could before 1.8 I haven’t tried it on that version

It's impersonal. That's why my primary admin account for my site is different than my normal super admin account, which I use a real name for.
It also allows for some separation if you need to do any moderation "anonymously".

It’s impersonal. For *most* communities these days it’s as much a case of selling YOU as selling your forum.

I agree its impersonal. Members have an easier time being loyal to a person, not the "admin" - Treat your members right and they'll help bring people to the site and will back you when you need to make tough decisions

Admin as a name is always the default username that's how I see it anyway and end of the day who uses it?

The most forum software that you download and install is always an automatic crate and admin account with a default username as admin that you end up editing and changing :) . But with IPS you crate the account while setting the board up and it has an option for you to create a username :)

Not that fuss, I mean never really seen an FOurm that has an username ADMIN, unless it's Adam

Certainly! Using the "Admin" username has pros like simplicity, but it's a common target for hackers. Opting for a unique username can enhance security, but it's important to ensure you remember it. Balance is key! 🤝🔐

Not just the user name.. but usually the admin account is user #1 in the database. You can lock that user down tight, then create a couple of other user accounts when you start up to take up additional user "slot" numbers, then after creating 20 or so, then create your real admin account, then delete the other accounts. This works for those scripts that try user #1 or user #2 for trying to hack, but an actual user can see your user "number" easily enough.

On social media, I use a brand name, not my name, in regards to music stuff most of the time cause I like privacy and it's a safeguard against pride.

On a forum, I want people to know who I am but to make it more a team thing I hope to get other people to post.

It's not something I've ever done... as others have said, I find it uptight and impersonal.

I use my brand name on social media, but I don't engage in conversations, generally, on there. On a forum it's way different. It needs to be more personal.

Pros: People know who to communicate with first and foremost. Users would then not be confused possibly?
Cons: Impersonal, lacking a name/face to connect users with.

I personally like what we have done here at AJ where we created an Admin Junkies account for some posts, but all administrators still have their name. With our key it shows who is staff and not, and I think we've for the most part had a good different color differing the staff/admins from regular members.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest