Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Admin Well-being Prioritizing Your Well-Being: How do you take care of yourself as a Community Leader?

Conversations on avoiding burnout and maintaining enthusiasm while running a forum

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
1698919719486.pngAs community leaders, we play a vital role in maintaining the harmony and health of our online spaces. However, it's no secret that dealing with conflicts and challenges can be emotionally draining. It's a caution to self reflect and not cause any burnouts. Let's have an open conversation about the importance of self-care in our roles and share the strategies we use to ensure our well-being.

What are some of the most emotionally taxing experiences you've faced as a community leader, and how did they impact you?

One emotionally taxing experience I've faced was when we lost members after a heated discussion within our community. It was disheartening and made me question our community's direction. My advice would be to recognize that such situations can occur, and it's essential not to blame yourself. Focus on reevaluating your community's guidelines and facilitating open dialogue to rebuild trust and encourage retention. It's inevitable that you'll lose members every now and then.

How do you find balance between supporting your community and taking care of your own mental and emotional health?

Balancing community support and self-care is a common challenge. My advice is to establish clear boundaries. Designate specific time for community engagement and personal time for self-care. Prioritize self-care practices such as exercise, meditation, and relaxation to maintain your mental and emotional health. Don't hesitate to delegate some responsibilities to trusted team members.

Share your go-to self-care practices that help you recharge and destress. What works best for you?

One of my go-to self-care practices is going for a drive. I highly recommend finding your own version of this, something that allows you to disconnect and recharge. Reading fiction or engaging in hobbies can provide mental escapism. Additionally, maintaining strong social connections with friends and family is crucial.

Seeking support from peers and fellow leaders can be incredibly valuable. Do you have a support network in place, and how do you lean on them during tough times?

I strongly advise building a support network of fellow community leaders who understand your challenges. Create a private group for discussions, venting, and advice exchange. Reach out to them during tough times for their insights and perspective. It's vital to share experiences and lean on each other for support.

Have you ever experienced burnout as a community leader? If so, what warning signs did you notice, and how did you bounce back?

Burnout is a risk. Warning signs include feeling constantly drained, loss of enthusiasm, and a drop in effectiveness. If you notice these signs, my advice is to take a step back, assess your role, and seek professional guidance if needed. Adjust your workload and set clearer boundaries to prevent future burnout.

Let's discuss the cultural aspects of self-care within our communities. How can we encourage our members to practice self-care as well?

Promoting self-care within your community is essential. Lead by example by openly discussing your self-care practices and their benefits. Organize community events focused on well-being to encourage members to prioritize their mental and emotional health. Create an environment where self-care is not only accepted but actively promoted and celebrated.
Feel free to share your experiences, tips, and insights on how you prioritize self-care while navigating the often challenging terrain of community leadership. Your well-being matters, and by taking care of yourself, you can better serve your community.

Related article:

Last edited:
As an Admin, I've received death threats. I run a Christian forum and sometimes you get the crazies in there and one guy even thought he was God. :unsure: I ended up telling the guy that if he returned I would notify the police and have him arrested. I had his name and address, Google is a wonderful tool when your life is being threatened...so I could easily have the police handle him.

I like to take LOAs when I feel too frustrated. It helps to get a fresh look at what's going on when you return after a brief hiatus.

Yes, I will suffer forum burnout once in a while, and will completely disappear for several months at a time. Eventually I am able to force myself back. I've handed the site off to others who manage it now, so if I need to take a sabbatical, the community doesn't suffer.

I try my best to not engage in any terribly heated debates when it comes to certain subjects. I usually get worked up and angry in real life if I participate in these debates. If I feel burnout coming, I will at least take a day or 2 where I don't log into the community and then come back after I'm feeling better. If I'm stressed out, I like to listen to music while working on other projects or play video games.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest