Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management Making discord server in early phase of forum

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.

The Raven

Credits
Perhaps you want "have it all" as soon as you run your forum and you worked really hard to achieve that before opening but then imagine this scenario. You have a forum running and you connected discord server running as well. Wouldn't that be a conflict or better to say a problem for your newly opened forum? You need to gather users to write there, and not on discord server. Besides that, do you even need discord server at all? It does the same thing as forum so why would you split the activity if there is no need for it?

Do you have discord server connected with forum and why? If not, do you plan having it?

I've got a Discord server but it barely gets used. People prefer to post on my forum.

I've got a Discord server but it barely gets used. People prefer to post on my forum.
Exactly. My point is that it is not of much use to run both. Why would I talk in discord when I can in general chat topic? And I can have a clear understanding who wrote what.

So when I was active in the RP scene it was common for forums to have a Discord alongside, because what happens is that topics are usually one-on-one and the participants often want to talk about the content they’re going to write, and iterate on it before writing.

This is of course doable in PMs but it flows infinitely better on a Discord.

What I found is that people tended to use the Discord more broadly for off topic stuff and the forum for the actual content. Again just because you can use the forum for this does not inherently make it good at doing it.

I'm in so many Discord servers and I have one testing server for the sake of playing around, I have my own server that's linked to Bayside and then I run another server for someone also ;) but once they are set there is nothing more to do or consider doing ;)

COmes down to those members that want to join and they can join and leave anytime right?

In my case I used to set it up to cross-post events of interest from the forum to the Discord, e.g. new topics, new replies, newly approved character sheets (roleplay). This worked quite well for keeping the connection going.

I prefer Guilded to Discord firstly, secondly I think having a Discord server along the forum is okay for staff members to keep in contact with each other in a real time setting. It can also be good for gaming forums, so you could voice chat with your members as you play games together. For other sites, I don't think it's really needed but that's just my opinion.

They need to compliment each other if they exist in the same space. I wouldn't go into either hoping to do both right off the bat. But there should be no problem if a market for the other develops naturally, and the two are tuned to cooperate. All depends on the site and situation.

Discord is good for instant messaging discussions, just going off topic about something for an hour. It's also a great place to send all your forum members an instant announcement, because it's more likely they have push notifications enabled for Discord out of the box. You can also use discord to host raffles or giveaways.

I would say Discord is good for your brand, not necessarily your forum. It has a slightly different use case than a forum.

Perhaps you want "have it all" as soon as you run your forum and you worked really hard to achieve that before opening but then imagine this scenario. You have a forum running and you connected discord server running as well. Wouldn't that be a conflict or better to say a problem for your newly opened forum? You need to gather users to write there, and not on discord server. Besides that, do you even need discord server at all? It does the same thing as forum so why would you split the activity if there is no need for it?

Do you have discord server connected with forum and why? If not, do you plan having it?
Some thoughts:
1. Why would you want to "have it all" as soon as you open your community?

If you're a business owner, you don't open 100 locations with all of the services if you're just starting. You open the services as it meets the needs and demands of your community.

2. What's the purpose of your Discord community? If you have an answer to that question, then yes, it makes sense.

If you don't know the answer to that question, you're basically telling yourself: you don't know what you're doing.

There's a maxim in business: stop chasing shiny objects.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest