Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management How often do you run site maintenance?

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.

Heatman

Service Team
Service Team
Top Performer
Credits
As a forum owner, how often do you put your website on hold to run a site maintenance? I would say that it's necessary whenever there's any attempt of security breach that's going to hurt your forum.

The only thing to ensure is that you don't put the site off for too long in order to avoid your members leaving the community.

I've rarely ever had to, almost regardless of the kind of site in question. I especially find the 'any attempt of security breach' interesting because I'm certain most people have no idea what to actually look for, and in the vast majority of cases, security breaches are actually social engineering rather than anything technical in nature.

The only time I tend to do site maintenance stoppages are for when I'm deploying updates, just to avoid problems during maintenance.

I probably spend at least 1 hour per day tweaking things in the ACP, making something better. Like 2 days ago I changed all reactions when clicking the like button. Is it necessary ? Not at all. But it gives me pleasure in customizing or making it more personal to who I am. There's not a day where I don't login the ACP or the web server.

I don't update some add ons right away after a release, because often devs release a new/fixed version the day after. There is always something that breaks, lol. But the most important ones will always be updated immediately.

It's actually interesting - I was having a debate yesterday on the nature of people being in the ACP and whether it was important for the admin panel to be *fully* drivable from a mobile device, and I was like... people are in there enough? I figure you need to make moderation type stuff readily accessible but the rest of the ACP? Hmm...

But if you're in there that often, maybe that's valid. It's just... sometimes I feel like I'm doing it wrong because I could avoid going into the ACP for months at a time.

It's actually interesting - I was having a debate yesterday on the nature of people being in the ACP and whether it was important for the admin panel to be *fully* drivable from a mobile device, and I was like... people are in there enough? I figure you need to make moderation type stuff readily accessible but the rest of the ACP? Hmm...

But if you're in there that often, maybe that's valid. It's just... sometimes I feel like I'm doing it wrong because I could avoid going into the ACP for months at a time.
I often do changes in the ACP through mobile. It’s easy, fast and effective. Though still prefer a computer.

The only time I tend to run site maintenance is if there is an update needed on the forum either with the software or with addons that I may be using on the forum and putting the forum into maintenance would be better than leaving the forum live just incase.

I probably spend at least 1 hour per day tweaking things in the ACP, making something better. Like 2 days ago I changed all reactions when clicking the like button. Is it necessary ? Not at all. But it gives me pleasure in customizing or making it more personal to who I am. There's not a day where I don't login the ACP or the web server.

I don't update some add ons right away after a release, because often devs release a new/fixed version the day after. There is always something that breaks, lol. But the most important ones will always be updated immediately.
I actually noticed that reactions tweak which you did and I kinda like it. It looks different and unique from the normal usual most forums have.

Only when I need to install new addons or update the core software. It is a bad habit to keep the board offline to members. People go to other places and might never come back. There is no point in risking it.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest