Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General What's the software that introduced you to Forums?

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.

AForum

Website
www.aforums.org
Credits
Which software did you started with on your first forum?

I started of with Forumotion. Reason why I prefer it because it has multiple versions you can use and change back-and-forth: phpBB2, phpBB3, PunBB, Invision, AwesomeBB, ModernBB (Currently using AwesomeBB)

I've also tried Vbullentin and Invision.

vBulletin was the first forum I was a part of, and InvisionFree was the first forum software I created a forum on.

There were two: YaBB (or might’ve been YaBB SE idr) and another software/host I can’t remember the name of, but it was sometime circa 2002 and started with an A.

I used phpBB to start out with. However, the forum was a flop because I couldn't understand spambots. Not only could not get rid of them, I thought they were real people!

The first platform I used was Forumotion, this was back in 2009 and I made a Pokemon Rom hacking community. In hindsight it's probably a good idea it never gained traction, I wouldn't want Nintendo to come after me lol. I also didn't know what I was doing, and didn't really promote it anywhere but on Facebook.

I had a pretty good grasp of phpBB when I started out. However, I couldn't understand spambots and that was enough to sink things.

My main problem was that I was isolated from other web developers. It was totally me going alone.

First forum I ever joined as a member was IGN Boards back in the stone ages (year 2000 or so). It ran software called SnowBoards, later renamed to "IGNBoards". The only other forum I ever knew of running the same software was TheForce.net.

The first forum I ever ran on my own was an InvisionFree forum. Good times. IPB 1.3 was nearly peak forum aesthetic imo.

For forums... it was both myBB and phpBB (settled on myBB).... but as far as precursors... QuickBBS back in 1987 (about 6 years before the internet became a thing for the general public).

The first forum I joined was Hubpages forum and I do not know what software they were using for the forum. The first known forum software that I remember was phpbb.

As a member: Ultimate Bulletin Board (before there was UBB.classic and UBB.threads)

As an owner: ezboard
Oh wow you've been around the forum scene for a while then. Lots of old Sonic the Hedgehog forums were on ezboard, it wasn't until the mid 00's that most of them made the switch to IPB. I believe ezboard became Yuku, and it eventually got bought out by Tapatalk.

Oh wow you've been around the forum scene for a while then. Lots of old Sonic the Hedgehog forums were on ezboard, it wasn't until the mid 00's that most of them made the switch to IPB. I believe ezboard became Yuku, and it eventually got bought out by Tapatalk.
Since roughly 1999/2000. Back in the day, the most memorable ezboards I visited were EyesOnFF (which is still around as vBulletin!!) and La Femme Fatale (a Tomb Raider fan community).

I actually originally installed phpbb2, but found it too confusing. So I switched to MyBB. Now I am comfortable using both. I however prefer the latter,

This is a good question but I don't really remember the software of the first forum I joined. I think the earliest ones I remember are UBB and phpBB.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest