Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Roleplaying on forums?

MisterBobbyPin

Recognized member
Credits
So I've become a major fan of roleplaying on forums and I want to see everyone else's opinion on the subject. Do you like roleplaying on forums? If you haven't role-played, are you interested in roleplaying?

I do - forums are one of the big ways this goes on (whether you're into the more dice-based version or the more collaborative storytelling version), though I've seen it done on Discord, Tumblr, Facebook, Google Docs, WordPress, or more dedicated platforms like Nova.

Part of the problem is that the term is pretty broad - I've just outlined the two main categories but there's a wide spectrum in between. I personally don't care for the rolling dice aspect of it, to me (very personally) this feels like a crutch for poor storytelling where you leave it to luck as to whether something succeeds or not and not have it down to whether it'd make a good story.

There are also definitely options for having the tech help us along - dice rolls automated by the forum are the obvious example but by no means the only one, it's also pretty common to wire in subaccounts to be able to switch between characters, often some kind of character notepad to keep track of things (though this can of course be emulated by a topic in the forum, as can most things)

I'm actually working on building out a toolkit of RP stuff onto a forum platform at the moment, been a bit tired lately from work so not gotten as far as I'd like but will pick it back up soon enough.

I do - forums are one of the big ways this goes on (whether you're into the more dice-based version or the more collaborative storytelling version), though I've seen it done on Discord, Tumblr, Facebook, Google Docs, WordPress, or more dedicated platforms like Nova.

Part of the problem is that the term is pretty broad - I've just outlined the two main categories but there's a wide spectrum in between. I personally don't care for the rolling dice aspect of it, to me (very personally) this feels like a crutch for poor storytelling where you leave it to luck as to whether something succeeds or not and not have it down to whether it'd make a good story.

There are also definitely options for having the tech help us along - dice rolls automated by the forum are the obvious example but by no means the only one, it's also pretty common to wire in subaccounts to be able to switch between characters, often some kind of character notepad to keep track of things (though this can of course be emulated by a topic in the forum, as can most things)

I'm actually working on building out a toolkit of RP stuff onto a forum platform at the moment, been a bit tired lately from work so not gotten as far as I'd like but will pick it back up soon enough.
I do the collaborative storytelling version of it. I really think it leads to great things but dice-based does have a place in the world. And I've gotten really deep into it as the forum I roleplay on is letting do a five-act story.

Hardly ever do I do forum RP much these days. I tried recently, but will admit my mood to RP just drained due to having a cold/cough and just not feeling it much after thinking it over. I am tempted to just dip without a word, tbh.

I can safely say that I’ve never ever had the slightest interest in RP. Strange, but it never appealed to me in any way. I have much admiration for those who can though.

Hardly ever do I do forum RP much these days. I tried recently, but will admit my mood to RP just drained due to having a cold/cough and just not feeling it much after thinking it over. I am tempted to just dip without a word, tbh.
I can understand that, it is time-consuming and you have to be in the mood for it.

I can safely say that I’ve never ever had the slightest interest in RP. Strange, but it never appealed to me in any way. I have much admiration for those who can though.
Yeah, it's something fun for more writing-based people. I like it because it gives me a platform to do stories in and make some interesting characters, but that type of thing isn't going to be for everyone.

I'm better at live action roleplaying than text based ones to be honest with you. I did participate in one roleplay once on a Teen Titans forum, but it died quickly and was never finished. I was the last person to post in the thread too. If I had more time, I might join a roleplaying forum because I do have a few characters I've created. (One was a character I came up on my own for a roleplay that my spouse and I started. The other few are Teen Titans fan characters.)

I'm better at live action roleplaying than text based ones to be honest with you. I did participate in one roleplay once on a Teen Titans forum, but it died quickly and was never finished. I was the last person to post in the thread too. If I had more time, I might join a roleplaying forum because I do have a few characters I've created. (One was a character I came up on my own for a roleplay that my spouse and I started. The other few are Teen Titans fan characters.)
I can see that, honestly inactive threads are what kills roleplaying for most people and it's a problem in most forums. If you ever wanted help or try out your ideas, I'm more than willing to help you out. Roleplaying is hard enough with friends, and I like helping people.

I've never joined an RP forum and it's never been something I've been interested in, although that may just be the ignorance of not understanding how it works.

I am with you on this. Not my cup of tea.
I have tried it once and it never stick with me. I had to set it aside immediately. Ever since then, I have never cared about it nor wished to give it another shot. I lost interest in it completely.

I did a Kingdom Hearts roleplay a few times, and several Harry Potter roleplays. Harry Potter is one that stuck with me and I continued for a while. Even had a forum for it at one point. I enjoyed it at that age. I tried to join a roleplay forum that appeared to be going on for a while and it was hard to join in, or feel like my character would really mesh. I did like how they kind of restarted per term which allowed for new people to start then. I think roleplay forums is still a great thing now and many people still want to do them, it's just not for me anymore.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest