Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Let's See How Far We've Come

TimelessSailor

Credits
Hello, hello, hello...

I never thought we'd be living in a Matchbox 20 song, but it really does seem like the (internet) world is coming to an end! Twitter is now X. Google is trying to kill the open internet with Manifest-3. Reddit is crashing and burning in their quest for an IPO. And long ago, the likes of Invisionfree, IPBFree, etc. came crashing down. What survived -- the likes of jcink, self-hosted options, etc. -- seemed to die on the vine as the "giants" monopolized internet traffic. Well, look where that's gotten us.

So here I am, back where I started in 2005 (meaning: a message board), hoping that it's time for change. Hoping Web 3.0 looks more like the old days. Hoping we will shift back to the open web. And after years of harnessing my dev skills in the industry I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and contribute to that. Why? Because I miss genuine community. I miss feeling like a part of something. I miss caring who people are, and people caring who I am. I miss genuine human connection. I miss the old internet.

The tech has changed. But I refuse to believe the dream has. So here I am. Nice to meet you!

Hey @TimelessSailor and welcome to Admin Junkies. I agree with the very sentiment of your post - the web is a weird world these days, far from the one I remember back in the 2000's, and growing up!

It's our pleasure to welcome you here - I think you'll find some like minded individuals in your stay with us ;)

Hey @TimelessSailor and welcome to Admin Junkies. I agree with the very sentiment of your post - the web is a weird world these days, far from the one I remember back in the 2000's, and growing up!

It's our pleasure to welcome you here - I think you'll find some like minded individuals in your stay with us ;)
Thank you! I hope so. I could really use that right now!

I am no longer a community admin. My last community finally closed down last year after fifteen years. So I'm essentially homeless!

I really relate to your take on how it felt to be a part of the internet back then. So much community and it felt like instead of canceling each other (like what is very common nowadays), we were instead more invested in educating and openly sharing our experiences back then. Welcome to the community here!

Hey, there @TimelessSailor :) welcome to Admin Junkies. I have to admit, thinking back to how the internet was back in the early 2000s up until now, so much has changed and it is quite scary how fast it is changing. We can only hope that things start to get a little better soon.

It's great to have you here at Admin Junkies and I look forward to seeing you around the forum :)

That was a beautiful intro. Thank you for that. Thank you for joining. I welcome you to Admin Junkies, hopefully your new place to be on the internet! I’m sure our community will make you feel at home at least. ☺️

Welcome to Admin Junkies! Your intro is spot on with how the web has changed and how many of us oldies want the old web back. It's sad that tech giants essentially tear apart communities and are greedy for fame and money in doing so.

Hello, hello, hello...

I never thought we'd be living in a Matchbox 20 song, but it really does seem like the (internet) world is coming to an end! Twitter is now X. Google is trying to kill the open internet with Manifest-3. Reddit is crashing and burning in their quest for an IPO. And long ago, the likes of Invisionfree, IPBFree, etc. came crashing down. What survived -- the likes of jcink, self-hosted options, etc. -- seemed to die on the vine as the "giants" monopolized internet traffic. Well, look where that's gotten us.

So here I am, back where I started in 2005 (meaning: a message board), hoping that it's time for change. Hoping Web 3.0 looks more like the old days. Hoping we will shift back to the open web. And after years of harnessing my dev skills in the industry I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and contribute to that. Why? Because I miss genuine community. I miss feeling like a part of something. I miss caring who people are, and people caring who I am. I miss genuine human connection. I miss the old internet.

The tech has changed. But I refuse to believe the dream has. So here I am. Nice to meet you!
Well we surely do hope to become the community for you. That's part of why I returned to forums in April. I missed the community, having conversations that perhaps you would have never met otherwise - but can also get so along and have so much in common! The internet has truly changed quite a bit since we all started, but I think there is enough of us returning that we can turn it into whatever we want it to. :)

What was your first forums about when you first started joining, what got you to join forums?

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcomes!

Well we surely do hope to become the community for you. That's part of why I returned to forums in April. I missed the community, having conversations that perhaps you would have never met otherwise - but can also get so along and have so much in common! The internet has truly changed quite a bit since we all started, but I think there is enough of us returning that we can turn it into whatever we want it to. :)

What was your first forums about when you first started joining, what got you to join forums?

The first forum I was really an active part of was the codelyoko.com forums. Not sure if anyone remembers it -- French animated TV show about a virtual reality. Someone hacked the forum in 2005 and redirected everyone to an InvisionFree forum called Code Lyoko Phoenix (later just "Phoenix Forums" after it became general purpose) and interestingly enough that little community thrived for a solid year. From there I went to another Code Lyoko based forum before helping start an RPG forum that lasted 15+ years. I've been a part of many communities here, there, and in-between, but those are the highlights. What about yourself?

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcomes!

The first forum I was really an active part of was the codelyoko.com forums. Not sure if anyone remembers it -- French animated TV show about a virtual reality. Someone hacked the forum in 2005 and redirected everyone to an InvisionFree forum called Code Lyoko Phoenix (later just "Phoenix Forums" after it became general purpose) and interestingly enough that little community thrived for a solid year. From there I went to another Code Lyoko based forum before helping start an RPG forum that lasted 15+ years. I've been a part of many communities here, there, and in-between, but those are the highlights. What about yourself?
I hadn't heard about that show. That sounds quite cool! I started on a forum called The Kingdom Key - a forum about Kingdom Hearts... Then I wanted to create a Kingdom Hearts forum and went to Invisionfree and that's when I found many communities! Joined one called the Anizone which was for animation and creativity. xD The rest is history!~

I hadn't heard about that show. That sounds quite cool! I started on a forum called The Kingdom Key - a forum about Kingdom Hearts... Then I wanted to create a Kingdom Hearts forum and went to Invisionfree and that's when I found many communities! Joined one called the Anizone which was for animation and creativity. xD The rest is history!~
So cool! I ran a Kingdom Hearts RP called KH_Darkness on server 14 of Invisionfree for a solid amount of time. I don't remember Anizone, I do remember toonzone.net which was awesome. :)

So cool! I ran a Kingdom Hearts RP called KH_Darkness on server 14 of Invisionfree for a solid amount of time. I don't remember Anizone, I do remember toonzone.net which was awesome. :)
I think I was on server 14 as well! Sounds right at least. Mine was called Kingdom_Of_Hearts and I made another one as well called Lost Future which that might have been on server 15.

Hello, hello, hello...

Hi @TimelessSailor ! Welcome to the AJ family! We bet you will enjoy your time here because we have all wonderful people here including you! 😊

Hello, hello, hello...

Hello & It's so nice to meet you! I too miss the genuine community. Forums were more popular back in the day. At least forums are better at community that social media is!

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest