Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management Grid, Table, or Fluid, Which is Preferred

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.

JoshB

Recognized member
Website
thisindiecreator.com
Credits
Was wondering how you set up your forum style structure. Do you tend to stay with the tried and true forum staple of the table format? Move into the future with either the grid or even the fluid view style?

Most of them these days are going to be using at minimum divs and a fluid style. I absolutely will not use tables unless there is no other alternative.

Anything I do custom these days is always done mobile first. Usually leveraging bootstrap 5.3+ or Pico.css, depending on the project. I'm approaching a point in several major projects I am working on currently (CMS, Forum and Blog, well, actually just a core that will eventually drive all of them) so I am going to have to make those same choices. At the moment I am leaning towards Bootstrap but have not decided entirely. I like Pico a lot because of its semantics and you can pair it will Bootstrap's grid system, but..... BS 5.3+ has "themes" so will most likely go with that and expand the theme manager tooling to include build tool integration. Who knows, I'm a ways from that point yet.

No matter which I go with I will most likely set it up in a master grid leveraging breakpoints so that I can provide a widget type UI without having to worry (much) about breakage. Although I will say, that I may not even go through all that trouble, and just build a React front-end for it, it is being built to use either.

Most returning users immediately go to Whats New, which is basically fluid view.

IPS recently introduced (what I'm going to refer to as) Big Grid, which is the grid view but ... bigger with more topics. It's a hybrid between table view and fluid view.

My hypothesis is that returning users will still go immediately to What's New OR specific boards where they hang out.

Most returning users immediately go to Whats New, which is basically fluid view.

IPS recently introduced (what I'm going to refer to as) Big Grid, which is the grid view but ... bigger with more topics. It's a hybrid between table view and fluid view.

My hypothesis is that returning users will still go immediately to What's New OR specific boards where they hang out.
All current behavioural evidence supports your theory.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest