Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management Forum made from partnership

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.

The Raven

Credits
To be clear right away (partnership with friends, not a girlfriend/boyfriend thing). You found some awesome friend online and both of you share that same hyped passion for having a forum so you agree on being partners. Now, few questions will pop up.

1. Are you splitting the bill for hosting/forum software?
2. What forum software to use?
3. What is the niche forum the forum?
4. How to organize categories and forums?
5. What is the policy on how to run the forum?

These questions are truly important so how to deal with them? And what if your partner at any point decided to quit and he was the one paying for everything? That's a shocker. All you did failed. But, you can move DB to another hosting (luckily) :D

It's also important to make a list of procedures/terms when disagreements kicks in. Because it will happen.

It's also important to make a list of procedures/terms when disagreements kicks in. Because it will happen.
I agree, what if you and your partner get into an argument that can't be resolved? Then who gets full ownership of the community, and who gets demoted? I think this is why I don't go into partnerships with friends when running a forum. There can and will be too much drama. Say your political views don't match or you say something in the wrong context and they take it the wrong way. I mean it's just not worth the hassle and/or headache to run a community with a partner, friend, or spouse.

1. Are you splitting the bill for hosting/forum software?
In case of @Al and me. I host, he's owner of the domains and licenses. Is it a smart thing? No. One does need the other to prevail. If we'd have differences ESGR would make a loss somehow. I could pull the plug in hosting, he could move the website, licenses and domain. It's important to find a partner you like and trust. Stay mature on every matter. We didn't sign some contract, but we're mature enough to address any issues we have. We disagree often sometimes but resolve it maturely. It's wise to discuss exit strategies in advance. What happens if one partner decides to quit?

2. What forum software to use?
Anything you both like and want to spend money on. This is an easy part.

3. What is the niche forum the forum?
Again, easy part. If you one of you don't like the niche, find another partner or find another niche you both love. Passion is everything. Never go with a niche you know nothing about or don't have any interest in.

4. How to organize categories and forums?
Best part of having a partner is having two opinions, again be mature on the discussion and sometimes agree on something that might not be the best in your point of view.

5. What is the policy on how to run the forum?
Very important that both partners have the same mindset to run a forum.

Great topic @The Raven !

If you have anything in writing, it's a contract. Try to figure out those details before actually doing the work. Above all, trust your partner...and if you don't then why would you join into a partnership?

When Malcolm and I started Promotion Future, all of the above was decided on in our back and forth messaging. We wrote out our strengths so we would know what roles each of us would be able to fulfill. It worked for us and the only reason we went back to FP was because we were needed there. Otherwise, we had a year, two and four year plan of attack :)

Voice your expectations to each other...don't assume. That's a huge tip I give to everyone.

I'm always looking for good partnerships however they ar not always after me regards what I do outside of Fourms and I never really want to be in a partnership with people to run things. Just me in many cases, then again it helps if you have more people to work and get the job done ;)

When I partner up on forums, usually if it's a community I started I'll continue to pay for the domain, hosting, and if it's on paid software the license. I would feel a bit odd asking for money to keep things going, that's just the type of person I am. We bounce ideas off each other, and if there's a feature members want we'll work together to make it happen.

I gave up ownership of my first forum to a committee. That committee has to agree on everything before changes are made. I've stayed on board as a technical advisor to teach certain select committee members how to handle back end stuff like hosting, upgrades, etc.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest