Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Ello!

SDL

Renowned member
Credits
Ello Admin Junkies!

That's my attempt at standing out, although I do admittedly use that greeting on a regular with all my mates. Not the Admin Junkies bit, that would be a bit weird...

I'm Sam from Birmingham, UK. I've spent over a decade building and managing forums, mostly on MyBB, although they did shut down after a month or two because I realised a 14 year old with £20 a month pocket money couldn't afford to maintain a forum. That was 10 years ago, I'd like to think I'm in a much better position at 24, however it seems that adulthood makes you even more broke! Joking aside, I've built up a lot of knowledge in running forums over the years which I hope to share with the rest of the Admin Junkies community.

I've been out of the game for a couple of years, I wouldn't say I lost interest, more that I found other interests which took up most of my time alongside a full-time job. However that's all changing now that I've decided to start university in September as a mature student, and I felt this is the perfect opportunity to reignite my love for forums. Unlike my previous forums which were on a very tight budget of about £5 a month, I'm looking to invest a fair bit of money into my next forum in order to make it as successful as possible.

I hope to get to know you all very well, Admin Junkies looks like a brilliant community which I'm excited to be apart of!

Hello Sam! My typical intro starts with Heylo! I like Ello though. :) What niche/genre of forum are you thinking of starting? Many of us have also been on forums for quite some time and definitely recall the smaller budget for forums! I myself was on free software and only paid for the domain, so definitely understand. What will you be going to University to study? Congratulations by the way!

Excited to have you as part of our community Sam! :)

Heya Sam! First of all, welcome to AJ! It’s a pleasure to have you here and meet you. I’m glad you found your way here and I’m sure we’ll have a lot of fun getting to know you! :D Free forums was a begin for many of us here, but nowadays, it will cost something to see some success. It also depends on how you define success. But we’re here to help you as much as we can! :D Be sure to let us know of any adventures you start. :)

And have fun reading, sharing and gaining knowledge, and helping a fellow member out! :D See you around!

Hello Sam! My typical intro starts with Heylo! I like Ello though. :) What niche/genre of forum are you thinking of starting? Many of us have also been on forums for quite some time and definitely recall the smaller budget for forums! I myself was on free software and only paid for the domain, so definitely understand. What will you be going to University to study? Congratulations by the way!

Excited to have you as part of our community Sam! :)
A bit of a backstory, I’ve always enjoyed reading and writing however I wasn’t that passionate about it until last year, when a good friend of mine introduced me to Wattpad. I discovered a whole new love for reading and even started writing my own stories on the site. So I’m building a community around exactly that, a forum where amateur writers can discuss writing and share their stories whilst book lovers can discover new stories they never knew existed.

I’ll be studying a Business Management degree which I wanted to do when I left college however it wasn’t feasible at the time.

Heya Sam! First of all, welcome to AJ! It’s a pleasure to have you here and meet you. I’m glad you found your way here and I’m sure we’ll have a lot of fun getting to know you! :D Free forums was a begin for many of us here, but nowadays, it will cost something to see some success. It also depends on how you define success. But we’re here to help you as much as we can! :D Be sure to let us know of any adventures you start. :)

And have fun reading, sharing and gaining knowledge, and helping a fellow member out! :D See you around!
Free forums, now that brings back memories!

I’ll be sharing updates along the way, I’ve purchased the domain and will be getting it set up over the weekend.

Thanks both for the kind welcome!

Welcome!

I was probably using MyBB about 10 years ago myself. I've properly went through all of the forum software almost!
MyBB used to be the best forum software in my opinion, pretty much every forum was using it at one point. It was either that or vBulletin for those with a bigger budget. How times have changed! I've also been through pretty much every piece of software, the only one I haven't touched as an admin is XenForo which is what I'm looking at using for my forum so it'll be an interesting learning experience.

Welcome to A-J SDL! Man you're young, I'm 9 years older than you lol. MyBB isn't my favorite free forum software, though it used to be my second favorite back then. Xenforo is great, though I like Woltlab a little better. Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Welcome to the forum SDL! We're glad to have you on board and to see you taking a keen interest in forums again. I've only ever used InvisionFree, ZetaBoards, and Jcink myself. Never used free forum hosting, so I can't speak for you there, but I have been a part of a few MyBB boards and they seem rather nice for being free, open-source software. Have fun while you're here and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have!

Welcome to A-J SDL! Man you're young, I'm 9 years older than you lol. MyBB isn't my favorite free forum software, though it used to be my second favorite back then. Xenforo is great, though I like Woltlab a little better. Hope you enjoy your stay here!
That makes me feel a little better lol! I can’t say I’ve heard of Woltlab if I’m honest.

Welcome to the forum SDL! We're glad to have you on board and to see you taking a keen interest in forums again. I've only ever used InvisionFree, ZetaBoards, and Jcink myself. Never used free forum hosting, so I can't speak for you there, but I have been a part of a few MyBB boards and they seem rather nice for being free, open-source software. Have fun while you're here and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have!
I’m pretty sure I’ve used InvisionFree before, not so much ZetaBoards or Jcink. MyBB gets my personal vote from back in the day.

Thanks both!

Hey Sam :) welcome to Admin Junkies :) it's great to see you are getting back into forums. I myself took a few years out between 2017 - 2022 with a slight comeback in 2020 to try new things but came back in October 2022 and have been back since :)

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum :)

A bit of a backstory, I’ve always enjoyed reading and writing however I wasn’t that passionate about it until last year, when a good friend of mine introduced me to Wattpad. I discovered a whole new love for reading and even started writing my own stories on the site. So I’m building a community around exactly that, a forum where amateur writers can discuss writing and share their stories whilst book lovers can discover new stories they never knew existed.

I’ll be studying a Business Management degree which I wanted to do when I left college however it wasn’t feasible at the time.
Wattpad has some quite interesting stories! I keep finding more and more apps for reading stories people write and they are great! I always loved fanfiction, so it is also great to find some of that genre as well. I LOVED reading quite a bit in middle school and high school and quit reading myself for a while. I started reading again in 2021 or 2022 and I've been enjoying it thoroughly! I forgot how much I loved reading. Occasionally I think about writing again, so that's really cool you want to provide a place for that to happen!

I'm glad it is feasible now for you! I hope school goes well. I need to go back to try and earn my masters, but I struggle to decide what I would want a masters in.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest