Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management Do you allow waking up old threads in your forum?

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.
I have a graveyard forum where members can go through and look to see if there is anything they want to bring back to life. If they ask nicely I will move it back to a forum that it was in. But I don't mind if they start a new one, or if they think that is relevant to bring the old one back I will.

On our busy successful community, we hide the Reply button for old topics in forums that get a lot of buzz and activity. They will see a message that says "This topic is over 365 days old and expired. If you would like to discuss this subject, feel free to start a new topic."

In some of the smaller forums with just a couple pages of posts, we have it turned off. We don't mind bumping something from page 2 or 3 to the top, but when something is several years old and a couple hundred pages back, we would rather it remain dead and buried. Many of those members are gone by now anyway so there is no use to replying to them.

Yes, as long as they make a comment on it that is relavent.
Its a sign that people are look over your forum

I think it is called thread bumping, when you bring to limelight threads that are old by replying to them. Most times it sends new and relevant threads to oblivion.

As long as the response is relevant and on topic I love when people bump a old thread with new information! There are so many topics, and if possibly I would rather not create thread over and over - if we can bump a thread instead of creating a new one I would prefer that. I hate seeing threads with less than 5 responses, but typically it’s because they weren’t seen!

If it's still on a board (even if it's many pages back and not locked) then it's there to be posted on. Got threads going back 20 years and have 20,000 posts on them. More than happy.

A big problem is a lot of the original posters might be gone, so why not make a fresh one? Actually, that's a better choice.

However, I don't like sealing old threads, but if someone makes another that's fine.

So the one forum I frequent occasionally is a NodeBB (used to be Discourse), and that has the 'x weeks later' message between posts.

One person got into a habit of necroposting years-old threads, that they changed the 'x years later' message to 'Goddammit (member name)' for multi-year necroposts.

Said person took the hint, but this particular community isn't exactly 'welcoming' or 'tolerant to what they consider to be stupidity', well within the community norms.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest