Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Develop Forum together!

Mamberroi Jr

Credits
@Aerodynamic I bring the idea of all the ADM that we have knowledge and we develop xen forum unite in a Forum and work together and see what we get from it little by little with the skills of each one. I see the great idea ?

To achieve what? I'm at the stage where I'm less interested in the community side - been there, done that - and these days I'm more interested in building the tools that go along in building a community. I am, in a sense, more interested in building the forum software than I am building the community.

I do keep an eye on what the forum world is doing - XF, I'm curious to see what 2.3 brings, but being even more honest... I'm already working on a forum software, for roleplay use, not general use.

I appreciate your consideration of including me, but as I said I don't think I am back to forums to be staff at a forum right now since I'm pretty busy. I wouldn't be able to dedicate the time I would want to.

Here's the thing... we're already on a XenForo - we could all just keep contributing to that and make that awesome?

I don't know if I make myself understand. I am not looking for staff for a Forum; I look for among those of us who are and have been administrators to join in a development of XF and see among all the changes designs and shapes that we are able to do

I'm really not sure what you hope to achieve here.

You want to build on XF - but you can't distribute that. So you're building a theme or a plugin, or both which could be shared, I guess - but if that's the case we could just go to XF.com and publish things there.

If the plan is 'let's build the next generation forum software'... stop. You can't build that on XF, because you don't own the XF codebase, and I guarantee you presenting it to Kier and Chris and co is going to go down like a lead balloon because you don't know their roadmap (nor is it how they work, anyway)

Which means the only viable plan becomes 'building from scratch or building on top of one of the open source systems' (because open source lets you do that), which means you need people who know those systems and can modify those systems. Getting from there to 'the next gen forum software' is achievable, but it's a multi-year process even when you have multiple people who already have all the skills, and already have the motivation and a roadmap in mind.

Now, I'm happy to have a conversation on that front - I have ideas on what the next generation forum software should look like, quite extensive ones. I suspect many will hate it, at first. And I can give you an idea of what the realistic estimation of time and effort would be to get there, but all destinations that aren't 'take existing systems, add existing plugins, tweak' start at 2 years.

I mostly work on Open Source programs. Paying for premium scripts is not my thing.

I think we're already making a developed-ready forum by posting and contributing to Admin Junkies. We're working together to create a community that bonds administrators to a greater length and helps them in the same process.

Having built a custom forum I can tell you that it is a lot of work. I would highly recommend not starting if you don’t have the capacity to continue. Most custom forum scripts also tend to die out after a few months/years.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest