Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Site Management Content moderation for new members?

For discussions on the overall management and administration of websites and forums.
Wedge let you build custom rules for this, e.g. 'if post is by people in (groups), contains more than x links, moderate the post' (where you could do more than that, e.g. you could refuse the post, or change number of links and various other rule components). It was in part inspired by the 'Anti Spam Links' mod that simplemachines.org uses.
I like this approach. You are correct: you need to address the root cause of the issue, rather than an overly generic blank rule.

On Invisioneer.org, I recently activated a new IPS cloud spam analysis. Unbeknownst to me, it ended up holding every first user's post in moderation.

Always address the behaviour you want to correct rather than the collection of people who *might* exhibit that behaviour.

Similarly, if you demonstrate the behaviour you want and treat that as normalised, the average population will conform anyway because conformance is socially expected and the herd will often do it all by itself, with a bonus of some subset self-selecting out because they not only know they don’t conform, they recognise they don’t want to conform and go elsewhere.

It still boggles my mind we don’t have tools that can support this philosophy properly,

Maybe the owner had experienced a lot of spammers in the past so they had to make that decision. I don’t blame them too, usually after a few posts there would be no more moderation.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest