Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General Can you get any more ironic than this?

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.

Tracy

Royal member
Credits
You go check Googles pagespeed insights out for your page.
One of their "big" gotchas that they bring up is reduce the impact of third party code... and the contents are exactly this

Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 3.06.44 AM.png

Sorry Google... 4 out of five of those items are yours...

Now, let's talk about the 700KiB elephant in the XenForo room that many many not know about, but that gets shoved out apparently every time someone visits?

Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 3.11.26 AM.png

Some of this stuff I could take care of directly, but others are developer dependent.

How many of us have actually taken the time to investigate and try to resolve many issues that are shown in reports like this?
Granted, some of this is minor, but there are some things that can negatively impact your site for end users.

lol indeed. Google isnt very well at optimizing their own stuff. The most hilarious thing is when you add their advertisements.

lol indeed. Google isnt very well at optimizing their own stuff. The most hilarious thing is when you add their advertisements.
yeah, I remember the very SHORT time when I played with that. decided it was not worth it in what it brought in and how it impacted the site.

yeah, I remember the very SHORT time when I played with that. decided it was not worth it in what it brought in and how it impacted the site.
You’re better off with BuySellAds to monetize your website.

You’re better off with BuySellAds to monetize your website.
My eventual target, when I get some traction, is to contact niche vendors and see if they are willing to directly purchase advertising slots and such on the site. If not, I'll continue throwing my own money at it.
It does get rather expensive buying several mini PCs to review (as I have recently done) as well as other related equipment directly out of your pocket.... especially if it is not equipment you would normally use. It is nice to be able to subsidize some of that but still not be beholden to giving a fan-boi style review.
I have contacted several vendors of items related to my niche to see if they are willing to provide evaluation units. I'm running around 30% success rate so far.

Wow, that add_to_home.mp4 file is ridiculous! That's served on every page load? Obviously caching will mitigate it for subsequent loads but still, that's bananas. I would look into fetching that asynchronously when the user actually needs it, e.g. behind some "how to add <community> to your iPhone home screen" tooltip or popup.

Wow, that add_to_home.mp4 file is ridiculous! That's served on every page load? Obviously caching will mitigate it for subsequent loads but still, that's bananas. I would look into fetching that asynchronously when the user actually needs it, e.g. behind some "how to add <community> to your iPhone home screen" tooltip or popup.
I'm not really sure that it gets pushed out every time, but that it did show up in the Google PageSpeed tests.
It is an instruction video (used to be a GIF I think) of how to set up PWA for users. You can use PWA to add it to your desktop computers home screen also.
I don't think it should be pushed out by default. It should only be served when you elect to install as a PWA, and then only as after the user chooses to get help on how to do it.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest