Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General Are forums finally outdated in the digital age? Or still vital to use?

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.
I believe forums will survive if they are more like Quora, a community where people go to ask question and answer question . If a forum does not develop into a resource site, it cannot survive.

Maybe I'm in the minority (and perhaps I'm not) but I see Reddit as a step back from forums and not really progression. It's not as easy to find threads in a subreddit, and it looks plain and outdated. I know the main complaint I've got from those on Reddit about making the switch to forums during the Reddit blackout was the fact that on forums you have to register on many different ones whereas on Reddit you just have one global account. But if that's their main complaint, they shouldn't have an issue with Proboards because they utilize a global account, sure there's a little extra step of still having to register on a forum, but most of the time approval is quick. I guess people are just lazy these days lol. Even old Reddit was a bit better than current reddit because you could modify the CSS of your subreddit and make it look unique. You can't even do that anymore.
Agreed fully. We need to get away from the centralized mentality that everything is in one spot. Centralized anything is terrible overall. It's only convenient but it hampers everything else.

It's hard to admit, but forums are really dying. Yes, forum software is evolving, but the number of communities is unfortunately constantly shrinking. On the other hand those who like forums are much more loyal people who are a stronger foundation for the community than the same discord users. I also use Discord, Reddit, etc, but only forums have that cozy feeling, maybe people from generation Z will never experience it and I think that's a great loss.

but the number of communities is unfortunately constantly shrinking
It's much easier to have a Facebook/Instagram/X/etc. page and find followers than it is to find new members for a forum since all that's mostly required to find followers on social media is a click of a button. Meanwhile, on forums, it can take work and dedication to find a strong member base. You have to branch out of your forum and go to other communities and networks to promote. With such easier ways to join a social media page, people don't want to put in the extra work to find a strong member base for their forum. At least, that's the way I see it.

The endless scrolling of social media platforms makes me not a fan of them. It’s easier to spend hours scrolling mindlessly without gaining anything tangible.

It’s almost impossible to scroll through forums though. Even if I spend just some minutes the feeling I get cannot be compared to the former.
But many would rather engage in that mindless scrolling…

Reddit has just done a deal with Google for Google giving them a couple of hundred million bucks over the next 2-3 years for Reddit's content for AI purposes.
I think Reddit is junk. I made an account several years ago because I wanted to create a Subreddit. I was told my account had to be a month old. So I waited, posting occasionally on other Subreddits. Then after a month, I tried to create it, and for some reason, I was insta-banned. Then I tried to delete my account, but every time I did, I was told there were "technical difficulties". F that site.

I've been running forums for 25 years. There are now a plethora of forum scripts, and popularity has only seemed to increase, and still seems to. I don't see them ending any time soon, and as others have said, they will evolve, not cease.

I think apps like discord are the ones that kinda messed it up for Forums. People use to create forums for their clans now you got to download discord and join their server. I dislike the app, everything looks all the same, plain and boring. Plus all of their commands and whatnot are quite annoying, if you ask me.

required to find followers on social media is a click of a button
The thing is...do you want followers or actual participants? That is one of the big differences between social media and a forum. Followers are the end-all/be-all of most social media sites... but actual participation is not required.
For my astro site, guests/followers are fine and if they want to participate, even better, and most social media sites don't offer the functionality my site does.
But I am somewhat the "strange duck" compared to most site owners/admins as I run my site for my benefit and if others get benefit from it and/or want to participate, great. Most owners/admins (especially if using paid scripts/add-ons) want active participation by others. I don't chase users.
I settled on the forum solution I did instead of a blog because I did want to offer the ability to others to take an active part if they decided to do so. Meanwhile, it gives me a place to visit without having to worry about pissing an admin/developer off.

Last edited:
I think apps like discord are the ones that kinda messed it up for Forums. People use to create forums for their clans now you got to download discord and join their server. I dislike the app, everything looks all the same, plain and boring. Plus all of their commands and whatnot are quite annoying, if you ask me.
Honestly, I don’t think so. Discord is just a new chatroom. It’s like aol/aim part 2. Forums were around back then and did fine. I don’t like discord either. It’s like a big annoying chatroom with no substance and no history.

The thing is...do you want followers or actual participants? That is one of the big differences between social media and a forum. Followers are the end-all/be-all of most social media sites... but actual participation is not required.
That sounds logical and I can see why forum goers would rather have participation than followers that actively engage and not just scroll past your content and maybe give you a like/upvote. Social media like Facebook can be nice to stay in the know of your friends/family lives, but a lot of people post complete randomness or share what has been shared a billion times.

Honestly, I don’t think so. Discord is just a new chatroom. It’s like aol/aim part 2. Forums were around back then and did fine. I don’t like discord either. It’s like a big annoying chatroom with no substance and no history.
It is like a new version of chatrooms, but it already replaced a few forums I used to frequent which is unfortunate. I've also noticed other forums that I would frequent have less activity than their Discord servers. I think FB groups took away activity from forums first, but Discord isn't really helping much. However, like I've mentioned in the thread, research communities and other communities that document or offer support need to be on a forum. Discord servers are never going to be archived, and they're definitely not easy to locate specific posts. You have to rely on others taking screenshots and posting them elsewhere to get the information you're looking for. I'm hoping more people realize this and make the switch to using forums again. Thankfully one community that I've lurked on (which is a community for a fan made port of Sonic 3 and Knuckles to PC) made the switch from Discord to a forum.

Are forums a waste of time in today's fast-paced digital age

Absolutely not. But it takes a vision; a knowledge that there is true need for a certain type of community. It also helps when you have the basis of it to get it started. From there, if it's quality, it will grow with time. It also pays to have a variety of media feeding to it, and visa versa. Youtube videos, for instance, which advertise the forum, which are then posted on the forum and advertise the videos.
Now granted, we get these types even in forums, but if you can build a sense of community with a real feeling of being a brotherhood, a small percentage of them will keep coming back, and gradually it grows and grows.

Yes, and I think this is really the key. Many are trying to escape the divisiveness and the coldness of Facebook, Reddit, etc like trying to escape the coldness of the city for the increased closeness of a country town. It might not be perfect, but everyone knows one another so there are genuine connections. The thing is, people are not tied to a web community like they are a home town, and have no obligation to stay, so the quality of membership becomes key. Can you keep good people to build around, and do you have the sense to invite and allow in other good people while keeping out the bad?

It's about community, and communities are only as good as their membership.

Last edited:
Those “fuck it” days will likely overshadow the others at one point I imagine. And maybe in the not so distant future.

This goes back to my point about exactly who you are allowing in and interacting with. Good, interesting people are fun to be around. The jerks are what's so taxing, so they need to be excised, before it takes a toll on the community.

I honestly find forums easier to understand and navigate, usually. I think it is still very vital. Forming connections on social media is hard for me. Socially even harder. It could be my generation, though. I find a lot of younger people deviating to different things these days. I still have hope discussion boards will advance rather than dissolve.

Here is the thing people forget. Forums, have been around for many years, even before the internet was commonly accessible by the public. Back in the mid 80s, forums were known as BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems) and were accessed via dial up modem and dedicated phone lines to the computer that housed the BBS.. Multiple computers networked together, multiple phone lines each connected to a modem all routed together to the BBS system software. This stuff even predated windows.

That is where I got my start.

Since then there has been, so let's see.... Prodigy, compuserve, AOL, MySpace, Google Groups, Yahoo Groups, Facebook and a bunch of others. Guess what... Most of them are gone or a shadow of their former selves and forums are still here.

Forums have evolved but not been eradicated. There are many reasons for that. But suffice it to say that the concept is sound which is why it has endured.

Here is the thing people forget. Forums, have been around for many years, even before the internet was commonly accessible by the public. Back in the mid 80s, forums were known as BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems) and were accessed via dial up modem and dedicated phone lines to the computer that housed the BBS.. Multiple computers networked together, multiple phone lines each connected to a modem all routed together to the BBS system software. This stuff even predated windows.

Since then there has been, so let's see.... Prodigy, compuserve, AOL, MySpace, Google Groups, Yahoo Groups, Facebook and a bunch of others. Guess what... Most of them are gone or a shadow of their former selves and forums are still here.

Forums have evolved but not been eradicated. There are many reasons for that. But suffice it to say that the concept is sound which is why it has endured.
Yup, same here. Opened my first BBS in 1993. But had been on Prodigy from 1990 to 1992. I didn't have a modem in the 80's, or a decent computer. lol

I was born in 1990 but I've looked up information about BBS after learning about them when people on Sonic Retro, a Sonic the Hedgehog forum was talking about how some BBS would distribute illegal rom dumps of games that weren't even out yet or had just came out. Companies like Sega actually had to sue owners of a BBS because of it. Generally speaking, forums will continue to thrive in some form. Facebook Groups are still thriving, but my friend recently asked me if I could get a blog or website set up for his FB group and I think it's because of the blackout that happened a few days ago. (I know he's been having issues with their moderation too.) I have noticed though that the FB group I own for a Youtuber has decreased in activity. Maybe people are finally realizing that FB isn't a great place. (Wishful thinking though...) I think if Discord goes down for good and Reddit we'll have a greater chance of people flocking back to forums. I just don't see that happening unfortunately...

Once people get sick of all the social media BS (esp all this freaking "woke" crap), they'll come back to forums as it was before.

Back in the mid 80s, forums were known as BBSs (Bulletin Board Systems) and were accessed via dial up modem and dedicated phone lines to the computer that housed the BBS.. Multiple computers networked together, multiple phone lines each connected to a modem all routed together to the BBS system software.
You forgot the biggest thing that tied them together... and came about even before the InterWebz..
FidoNet. And like much of the brouhaha about the death of forums.. the same was said about FidoNet and BBS's. But 40 years later both are still around. Maybe not as popular, but as long as there are those around that are willing to spend what it takes to keep them going, they will remain.
Proud Ex NEC124 and HUB6000

You forgot the biggest thing that tied them together... and came about even before the InterWebz..
FidoNet. And like much of the brouhaha about the death of forums.. the same was said about FidoNet and BBS's. But 40 years later both are still around. Maybe not as popular, but as long as there are those around that are willing to spend what it takes to keep them going, they will remain.
Proud Ex NEC124 and HUB6000
My *very first* web site was for my BBS. But I quickly realized the global nature of the internet and found it meaningless to have a site about a BBS in one single area code. I shut down the BBS and have been making sites ever since (1997- ) :)

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest