Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

What kind of tutorials would you like to see?

Cedric

Captain Junkie
Administrator
Credits
Lately, I've been thinking about how we can make this forum even more resourceful and valuable for each of our members. Most are more advanced users, but we have newbies too.

With that in mind, I wanted to reach out and ask: What kind of tutorials are you interested in seeing here? Whether you're a newbie just starting out, or an advanced webmaster looking to delve into a new area, I'm sure there's something new you're eager to learn.

A few points to consider:

1. Specific Topics: Are there certain areas or tools you're struggling with?
  2. Skill Level: Are you looking for beginner, intermediate, or advanced level tutorials?
  3. Format: Would you prefer written guides, videos, or interactive workshops?
  4. Challenges: Is there something you've tried learning multiple times but still can't grasp? Let's try to address those tough spots.
Your feedback is not just beneficial for you, but it helps guide those with expertise into creating content that can help the broader community. :)

Drop your suggestions below.

1) Growing the community without spending money on things like ads or other major promotion services.
----- I write content once in a while, but I don't want my name to be on every single board as "latest post by kensonplays" - I want other names to show up as well. Once more people regularly chat, I can start posting more to not 'flood' the site by me only.
2) Intermediate tutorials would be great for me. I'm not a beginner, but I'd say I'm in between intermediate and advanced.
3) I'm pretty visual, so I prefer video, but I'll also read blog posts or do workshops.
4) I would say so. Coding is a big challenge for me. Anything more than basic HTML & CSS are pretty tough for me. I can't really figure out advanced layouts with CSS. Don't get me started with even trying to learn JS or PHP. The only thing I know in PHP is include() include_once() which is basically enough for me to include menus/headers/footers.

1) Growing the community without spending money on things like ads or other major promotion services.
----- I write content once in a while, but I don't want my name to be on every single board as "latest post by kensonplays" - I want other names to show up as well. Once more people regularly chat, I can start posting more to not 'flood' the site by me only.
2) Intermediate tutorials would be great for me. I'm not a beginner, but I'd say I'm in between intermediate and advanced.
3) I'm pretty visual, so I prefer video, but I'll also read blog posts or do workshops.
4) I would say so. Coding is a big challenge for me. Anything more than basic HTML & CSS are pretty tough for me. I can't really figure out advanced layouts with CSS. Don't get me started with even trying to learn JS or PHP. The only thing I know in PHP is include() include_once() which is basically enough for me to include menus/headers/footers.
I can not stress enough the importance of a local server environment and the willingness to learn the basics of the primary language that your sites platform is developed in. Php being the primary for most of the sites that are covered by AJ.

@kensonplays if you will post up the particular topic that you are having issues with in one of the appropriate boards I will be glad to walk you through whatever issues you are having in understanding the underlying technical aspects of the relevant topic. There is little difference between include and include_once. Include_once just insures that if the script is already included it will not be included again. This helps to prevent runtime errors. The actual question of relevance here is the difference between include and require ;)

In most "modern" applications you will be autoloading which means that all of the include/require is handled for you via a use statement (not to over simplify it). Furthermore, 99.99% of that should be handled via whatever template engine the platform employees to load the theme/skin anyway. Usually, but not always, that tends to point to a incorrect usage of the platforms template system if you are trying to load a header, footer etc, usually from within a template (theme/skin) file the header/footer should be "in" scope, or the function/method for which you should call to load it. It's hard to say without knowing which platform you are running, which even if I did, I still may not know for sure. I'm speaking just in general terms. Most template engines will "render" via the context of a renderer which means that the templates rendering is dumped into the buffer and the template files are executed in the "context" of the renderer object itself, which means you should have scope to call the "layout" through the renderers context.

I envision tutorials about the Admin CP - basics would be nice to have in case anyone is new and starting. Explanation of coding would be helpful in general for those who are new, or more for those who are rusty. SEO would be my major curiosity and would be cool to see differing opinions/suggestions.

I think tutorials, like from the graphic days, where it was step by step would be helpful for me! I can also see how a video might be quicker to make though and would be understandable.

@kensonplays if you will post up the particular topic that you are having issues with in one of the appropriate boards I will be glad to walk you through whatever issues you are having in understanding the underlying technical aspects of the relevant topic. There is little difference between include and include_once. Include_once just insures that if the script is already included it will not be included again. This helps to prevent runtime errors. The actual question of relevance here is the difference between include and require ;)
Nothing really that needs to be explained, it will almost never be used for me, since I'll primarily just be doing embedded pages on my XenForo site pages.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 19 79.2%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest