Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

General Oldest Forum Software you still have running

For all the diverse topics that don't quite fit elsewhere.

vbgamer45

Bronze Member
Credits
What is the oldest forum software you still have running?
One of my hobbies is keeping old software working in the modern age.

I currently have the following forum software working with PHP 8.1
Phorum 3.1.2 from 2004
SMF 1.1.20 from 2014
PHPBB2 from 2005 I believe 2.0.15 version

Mybb I had for a while the original version but forced myself to upgrade them all in the past year.

Older software is honestly for me at least easier to keep running compared to modern software

Feel free to share some links @vbgamer45 - would be nice to see that! :)

I've got a MyBB 1.8.37 version with a cool theme, but that's about it.

I want to install older IPS versions and a XF 1.5 sometime.

I personally don't use older scripts, but I am a member on two different Sonic forums and both are running Xenforo 1.x I assume the admins just don't have the money to upgrade, they function fine but the only thing that's a bit annoying on Sonic Retro is that Youtube links don't get automatically embedded since that feature wasn't added until a later version.

The hard for upgrading is redoing the theme/template and then any custom addons you have as well.

I would consider hobby. I don't like seeing old content/sites disappear I keep most of my projects online money making or not.

I would consider hobby. I don't like seeing old content/sites disappear I keep most of my projects online money making or not.
I'm curious why. I've often see that happening. Old forums online, no sight of any staff. Why? Obviously it it's making money, that's a solid reason but if it isn't, why would you do it?

Personally if I wouldn't further invest any time in a website, I'd put it offline or at least not keep hosting when it runs out.

If it only costs a couple of bucks a month then I say leave them online. The more content we contribute back to the web the less a stranglehold the corporations have and the more the normies have.

Yeah doesn't cost much other than domains and some time. I have colocation, so own my own servers/hosting.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest