Welcome to Admin Junkies, Guest — join our community!

Register or log in to explore all our content and services for free on Admin Junkies.

Strategies Best WYSIWIG editors?

Ideas, innovation, and strategy planning.
Oh, wow! Thanks for the list! I'll have to see what the others have to offer.

Hm, I wonder how SMF’s folks configured it because they use SCEditor specifically so it would cleanly convert to bbcode, not sure offhand how deeply down the rabbit hole they went because they don’t keep the config in their repo, only minified.

But they definitely fixed it to not behave like that (because it explicitly gets turned into bbcodes so no stray tags)
The minified source is copied straight from the officially built release.

My husband went with SCEditor and so far, I frigging hate it. It keeps adding in extra <p><br> tags and even <i><br></i> tags. I have posted from my phone and from my laptop and regardless, it adds all these ugly extra spaces that I have to go in and edit out through the source.
Event though that is a known issue, I believe none of its maintainers know how to fix it. The HTML plugin does not get nearly as much use as the bbcode one, so is not battle-ready.

SCEditor powers SMF and MyBB
I think I read somewhere that mybb was looking for a replacement eventually.

We switched to CKEditor a few weeks ago and I like it WAY better.

I've been looking at various WYSIWIG editors. Kinda leaning toward TinyMCE at the moment but I was wondering if there were any other good options. I've also looked at CKEditor and Froala. I kinda want something self-hosted.
Avoid Froala like the plague.. it's one of the BIGGEST issues with XenForo, and their developers even acknowledge it. Now, it may be another 1-3 years before they get around to replacing it (for all the lip service they give) if past "speediness of updates" is any indicator of responsiveness.
When they went to it, it was somewhat cutting edge... but now it's simply a pile of poop. They KNOW it's a pile of poop... and even so the license holders are still left hanging with no more that vacuous responses from the developers other than "yeah, we know it's crap".
CKeditor, even with it's occasional warts is a better choice.

Register

Register on Admin Junkies completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Activity
So far there's no one here

Users who are viewing this thread

New Threads

Would You Rather #9

• Start a forum in a popular but highly competitive niche

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Initiate a forum within a limited-known niche with zero competition

Votes: 18 78.3%
Win this space by entering the Website of The Month Contest